Tuesday 24 August 2010

Wheelchair friendly tours, part five

February 28, 2007.
Kanchanaburi, Bridge over the River Kwai.

When I heard about the movie "Bridge over the River Kwai", I decide I had to see this spot myself. WOII is part of our history. Not only for Dutch people but for all people worldwide.

Kanchanaburi is about 2,5 hours drive from our apartment Tira Tiraa in Hua Hin. So my family and I left early in the morning in a wheelchair accessible minivan with driver. First we went to the Jeath War museum to learn about the area and the prisoners who built the bridge. The second stop was the graveyard of the soldiers who lost their life here during World War II.
Third stop was the new bridge. And last but not least the old bridge and the train. We had lunch next to the bridge. The view from the restaurant was magnificent, the old bridge and the river with floating hotels surrounded by lush vegetation. Sadly enough this train wasn't accessible for wheelchairs. So only my family got on the train and the driver and I went by car to the next train station.

Afterwards we have visited the Tiger temple. More info about this temple and the rescue of tigers in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment